Thursday, February 14, 2008

A Homage to Ramana Maharshi

To my Friend and to our Friendship:

Ramana I asked for You, and You came. Is there any other proof needed of Your benevolence?

With claws of evil gripping my mind and demons of fearful despair all around, You held me steady in Your all-powerful eyes that communicated - "fear not, Love is Unconditional and Your safe haven".

There and then I recognized unlimited Trust in You. I saw within You God, come in the form of Guru. You, the kindest of all fathers, yet far beyond any limitation of roles. Patient beyond time, wise beyond belief and unrelenting in your commitment to me.

You shook me to the core of my being. You rattled out misaligned influences, you scorched away karmic seeds of suffering and changed fearful symbols I had harbored, showing me great humor and creative thrill instead before fading symbols into the clarity of pure awareness.

It is You who rose that ancient reptile of despise from the swamp of ignorance and broke the spell it had cast, having me believe that I could think or feel anything but love.

It is you who showed me that I, as I am, am not capable in truth of holding a negative thought. Freedom from sin and guilt you revealed with humor and joy.

How can I not Love You...Your eyes, Your smile, my Father, my Friend, my secret Love, my Life, my Everything.

It is You who showed that the ego I feel is not what I am when I bowed the ego's head to your feet, feeling that I, with fear and doubt, am powerless and You, in effortless certainty are everything. You lifted the lowly self-evaluation and revealed my nature as unending mercy, timeless love and joy.

It is You who showed that I am the essence of existence itself, the Consciousness that I am is Your Consciousness. It is You who taught that there is no distance between You and I.

You took me beyond the world of despair. You have proved You are Lord. For only the Lord raises each to Eternal Life in God where they themselves are Lord, where only God is.

And when I descended back to this life, it is You who is still there, helping me to continue to open to a new human experience, a deeper revelation still. Your Grace is Love, my beacon, my goal, my Life.

© Jonathan Kalman 2007